market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Food stamps, WIC program and credit card acceptance

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Robin Follette" <marketfarmers AT thymeforewe.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Food stamps, WIC program and credit card acceptance
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 17:47:56 -0500

> My question to the group is have any of you accepted payments other than
> cash and check why or why not and what pitfalls or benefits have you
> experienced?

WIC FMNP and Senior FarmShare for low income families with young children
and seniors. FMNP vouchers are deposited in the checking account like
regular checks. Some states require the farmer to cash them in with the
market master. I get a check in May for Senior FarmShare. Both work well
for my farm. FMNP gives me a chance to educate some of the young families
on how to use fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs. Senior FarmShare gives me
a chance to talk with folks who used to farm, or just backyard garden, and
learn from them. They tell the best stories.

We did accept MasterCard and Visa but found it not worth it when I went to
full time farming and part time soap making. Few people ever paid with a
credit card so we dropped the account.

Robin Follette
www.thymeforewe.com zone 4
http://www.farm-garden.com/robin