market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Peat Pots for Transplanting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Peat Pots for Transplanting
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 14:52:27 -0600

> Is that "austinfarm" as in Austin, Texas? I think I've heard that peat

Yes. Our hot climate does tend to eat all organic matter quickly;
having a build up of many years worth of peat pots (or any other
organic matter) is just not a problem. I think I have read here two
criticisms of peat pots:
1) the peat does not decay; presumably over a period of years
2) roots of transplants to not readily penetrate the peat

> By a sixpack, do you mean a single pack with six plants in it, or a
> pack with six individual cells? The latter type plastic pack are made

A single plastic cell holding 6 2" peat pots. Approximately 4"x6". I
imagine any other plastic encasement that limits evaporation from the
peat would work as well. What I fear/suspect is that people are
attempting to grow peat pot transplants with the exteriors of the peat
pots exposed.

> > To those who dislike peat pots: Are you allowing the outside
> > surface
> > to dry? That will certainly inhibit root penetration.
> >

> I don't think so, but it's been so long since I tried to use these that
> my memory might be wrong. The pots would have been buried entirely into
> the soil at transplant so I don't see how they would have dried out
> entirely before the roots got a chance to penetrate, as new transplants
> generally get watered well if the weather's dry. I gave up on peat pots

I was thinking of drying out before transplant time, during the growing
and holding period. I'm not sure how one might keep them moist if they
are not encased in something like the 4"x6" cells described above. At
transplant time, my peat pots are falling apart and well penetrated by
roots.

I have heard people say that, after transplant time, peat pots may wick
moisture away from the transplants if the top edges of the peat pots
are left exposed. I haven't encountered that problem. It takes 1-3
weeks for transplants to "get their roots out", recover from
"transplant shock", and start growing. During that period especially,
we make every effort to keep them well watered.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.0/GNU/Linux system uptime 16 days 1 hours 24 minutes