market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re-selling rules at Farmers' Markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re-selling rules at Farmers' Markets
  • Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 05:26:22 -0500

The market where I sell we have a no re-selling rule. Food, crafts, plants, does not matter. If a vendor is caught reselling they are given a warning. If they do it again they are banned from the market. This past season we had to toss out 3 vendors for such violations. A 4th was tossed out because we suspected he was reselling but had no concrete proof. Fortunately for us he broke several other market rules his first day and was asked not to return.

And this is an issue-if you kick someone out (or fine them or some other punishment) you have to be absolutely positive they are indeed reselling or they can come back and sue to market. And your market rules must be very clear about reselling so there is no confusion about what can and cannot be sold at the market.

Since your market obviously does allow some reselling you should get a rule that says all resellers MUST have signage that states who made the items and where. That way people do not get duped.

Does your market have a board? If so go to all board meetings and get on the board so rule changes can be made to suit you

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Farm
Eaton, OH
http://www.boulerbelt.blogspot.com