market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pelleted Seeds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mike Emers" <rosie-ck AT mosquitonet.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pelleted Seeds
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:30:33 -0900

Hi Kelly

Try this. Take some old seed and bake it in the oven for a little
while. It will, of course, kill them. Then mix them in with the new
seed and you'll have to do much less thinning. We did this with our
2000 row feet turnips last season and we have to thin way way less. As
far as the pelleted seed, we found that our earthway ground up the
pellets on the lettuce too much and we didn't get the desired result.
We also stay away from pelleted seed because many aren't approved for
organic production and they are slower to germinate in our cold soils.

Mike Emers
Rosie Creek Farm
Ester, Alaska