market-farming - [Market-farming] Heating your greenhouse WAS local, naturally grown food becoming more competitive

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "TxBeeFarmer" <txbeefarmer AT hotpop.com>
  • To: <avalonfarmshomegrown AT earthlink.net>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Heating your greenhouse WAS local, naturally grown food becoming more competitive
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 20:24:58 -0500

Just a thought, have you considered heating your greenhouse and shop with a compost pile? See ATTRA for more info.

TxBeeFarmer
Mark (West Texas - Zone 7b)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brigette Leach" <avalonfarmshomegrown AT earthlink.net>

..... When
we did the business plan for our hydroponic grrenhouse operation we were
using "reasonably" priced natural gas. 2 years ago we put in a wood
burning stove to heat the 2 greenhouses. Now my husband spends the
winter months cutting wood and stoking the wood burner. Although we
figure it cut our fuel costs about 40% before the recent hikes, it isn't
how we planned to spend the winter months. The equipment that used to
get repaired over the winter and readied for spring field work doesn't
get done to the same degree as before. Our farm shop hasn't been cleaned
since the woodburner went in. Interior building maintanance doesn't get
done either. All of our greenhouse and market garden production is sold
within 30 miles, definitely "local". I will pay higher shipping costs
for the rockwool, oasis and nutrients that we use .....