market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] reporting animals on farm

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "mtlivestock" <crublee AT libby.org>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] reporting animals on farm
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 13:05:36 -0600

I am in Montana and pay per head livestock taxes. Each year, I have to
report major changes (permanent corrals), equipment (even hammers and other
hand tools), and the number of each type of stock on the farm. The form also
has a place for animals you are leasing or have leased out with the names
and addresses of the lessee or leaser (sp?).

You would be shocked how much the per chicken charge is compared to the
larger stock.

These taxes plus the permits I pay to transport stock goes back into the ag
department of our state. And yes, it is double-checked within your own city
revenue office.

There is two ways to report. Due to the type and size one way is to report
all stock owned or leased by us on a specific date of each year (February
something-can't remember the exact date.) I can't remember the other
reporting method. It pertains to large ranches or crop farmers I think.

There is a big difference in a "survey" and accounting for your farm as a
business. Be sure you know this difference before throwing anything out!!
At least in our state, animals are already identified and counted.

  • Re: [Market-farming] reporting animals on farm, mtlivestock, 10/01/2005