market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Frost Alert

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Margaret Wilson" <booldawgs AT cavenet.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Frost Alert
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 08:08:22 -0700

I just had a light frost here in SW Oregon.
The tomatoes, peppers and eggplant that were either in the hoop house or had covers survived and are still producing.  They will be gone soon as the days get colder and shorter.  They will be pulled when Indium summer is over and the cover crop gets bigger
The squash and pumpkin vines went to the ground.  The corn leaves were frosted some.  We harvested all of it.  I think it probably would have survived but it wasn't enough to worry about.  I needed the room anyway. Some of it went for animal feed.
For my area, everything else on your list will grow on through fall and probably winter with some protection.

Margaret

What would folks for sure harvest?
Kale, Cabbage, parsley, cilantro, carrots, beets (green top), peppers,
hubbard squash, pie pumpkins, huge pumpkins, arugula, daikon, brussel
sprouts, eggplant, turnips, popcorn, braising greens, chinese cabbage,
broccoli, radishes, rhutabagas.