market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Watermelons

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Errol Castens <castens AT peoplepc.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Watermelons
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:00:48 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

Pam wrote:

Someone here is trying to persuade me that I'll get bigger melons if we go
back to
our old 10ft spacing. I'm sceptical, as I don't remember them getting smaller
when
we switched to the closer rows. His reason is that he thinks bigger melons
are
sweeter. I'm thinking of organising a blind taste test with cubes of
watermelon from
different size melons to find out if this is really true. I'd appreciate
hearing others'
opinions.

Errol replies:

No scientific analysis here, but I prefer smaller watermelons myself. I've
had humongous ones that were mealy and stringy and not very sweet or
otherwise tasty at all. Besides, lots of people don't have room to store the
big melons. If your spacing suits you and your melons suit your customers,
I'd consider your neighbor's advice worth exactly what it cost you.

Then again, my advice wasn't very expensive, either ...

Errol Castens
Oxford, Mississippi
Zone 7b-ish

PeoplePC Online