market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Organic Seeds reply

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Bill Bradshaw <billbradshaw AT direcway.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Organic Seeds reply
  • Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 15:10:06 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: <mnr200 AT charter.net>
To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 11:41 AM

> Being a seed wholesaler and retailer I see both pluses and unfortunately
minuses to the organic seed issue... Though about 20@ of our line is organic
our organic sales are mediocre except for salad greens... Whats more
important to me and I think to consumers is where that seed ends up. I have
been to a few farms where they demand organic seeds and are growing 100 ft
from a US Highway. You cant tell me that a Tomato is going to taste better
or be safer than one grown away from polluted waters or roadways. If your
going to grow organic crops consider where you are. Location is very
important. As a sidenote we just had a tire recycling plant burn with 26
fire departments trying to put out a 5 day fire of 400000 used tires... the
smoke was seen 50 miles away,,, now were does all that soot go....? into
the air and down on the produce.. I hope the organic producers give an
explanation what the film on there produce is,,,
> I think that locally grown is a better marketing idea that 100% organic.
Yes, make sure you let the public know you use organic methods but taste and
distance also need to be addressed..
> Mark
> www.botanikka.com

Clap! Clap! Clap! very good. Bill