market-farming - [Market-farming] Topping Tomato Plants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Topping Tomato Plants
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:22:52 -0400

Can someone remind me what the philosophy of topping tomato plants is?
I've got a lot of heirloom indeterminants growing Florida weaved on 4ft
stakes.
A lot of them are by now 6ft plants.
In our humidity, the hangover becomes a source of disease and a hideout for insects populations.
I seem to recall, also, that the tomatoes above 4ft will not ripen before Sept 15, so I can't get excited about losing them by topping.

BUT, I'm afraid of promoting rank growth by topping and I'm afraid of promoting shock. And, frankly, as important as tomatoes are to us each year, I'm just plain afraid!

I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks -Allan
Shepherdstown, WV