market-farming - [Market-farming] Bean mowers :>)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adriana" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Bean mowers :>)
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 12:00:46 -0500

"My beans are being mowed off as they sprout and I have
these stems sticking out of the ground, silent sentinnels to some creature's
eating habits. I thought it was corn root maggots so covered a second new
planting, but the same thing happended. Does anyone have any idea what it
could be? And, more importantly, what the "fix" is?"

Elaine it sounds like cutworms to me...They burrow around the base of the plants duering the day and feed at night. Dig around to see if you find them. Sprinkle the base of the plants with agricultural (not swimming pool) diatomeceous earth, egg shells or wood ashes.

Adriana