market-farming - [Market-farming] ideas for monthly events

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "mtlivestock" <crublee AT libby.org>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] ideas for monthly events
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 07:18:07 -0600

Hello list!

I have an unique opportunity to encourage "buying local". A local business
person is considering a monthly clinic, meeting, or day thing (like me
sitting in her store to answer questions from customers). I need ideas to
put in my proposal pack. I will need to put this all on paper for her to
approval. Any ideas?

I am including the following:
1. Clinic on raising, feeding, butchering, and cooking your own meat
chickens. (This is at her Open House next month.)
2. Understanding Food Labels. free range, cage-free, natural, organic, etc
3. Clinic: Building Your Own Cattle Panel Hoophouse. Greenhouses, shelters,
livestock housing, etc.
4. Clinic: "Choosing the best layers for you". This will include a
display of my rare and common breed hens.
5. Biodiversity/whole farming techniques. Linking gardening, livestock
ownership, and soil management. (Meat chickens, laying hens, rabbits, etc.)
??????? Any other ideas???????

Target audience: Horse, pet, and other types of livestock owners. Many
are DIY types with limited budgets. Some are busy professionals that are
also weekend farmers/gardeners. Most own land. Some own many acres and are
seeking ideas to utilize their land in efficiently, economically, and
environmentally sound ways.

I am also considering a "picture essay" on local farms for display at her
store. Pics of local farmers and/or their stock with a caption. "Meet Your
Local Farmers" type of poster. Any other ideas on in-store displays? I
want to create a "What is happening this month? type of display to generate
interest.

***Any marketing stats would be greatly appreciated. I need to show how
some of these things will increase customer traffic in her store.

I need some great ads too. I have to provide the ad copy. She will put it
in print mediums and on local radio.

Any internet links for good examples of "how to" demonstrations would be
great! It will give me some ideas on structure/format.

I am also trying to get together a "News Sheet" for her to give out at the
store. It would include timely topics, pics, recipes, and a humor section.
Got any good topic ideas???? If you are willing to give one-time copyright
permission on an article you have written, please send it to me!!! Sorry, I
can't pay for the articles at this time, but I will include your name,
website address, and farm name with the article.

_______

We are also considering monthly "Farmer Chats" at her business. This would
be simple, short meetings to offer local farmers and consumers a location to
buy, sell, or trade goods and services while discussing farming issues.
Anyone on the list doing this???? Any ideas how to start and to structure
the meetings would be wonderfully helpful!!!!

I am so grateful for this opportunity and wish to make it a smashing success
for both of us. I hope I can get other businesses interested once we get
established. Thank you in advance for your help!!!