market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] gardening 101

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] gardening 101
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 16:29:32 -0400

On Wed, 25 May 2005 16:13:21 EDT, you wrote:

>the importance of farming organically would be a great place to start

Add to that: the importance of eating *local* food and a
little bit about 'food miles', and how they use diminishing
oil resources plus contribute to global warming. I'd print
up the 'Ten Reasons to Eat Local Food' and give each student
a copy. It's in several places on the web, notably at the
Growing For Market site.....Eat local food, change the
world!

If I were giving a talk to beginners, I would advise them to
start SMALL. Better to have success the very first time and
come back for more then to feel like a failure and give it
up in disgust.

I'd also give out a reading list, for the (probably) few who
would actually read books about it. I would include Mel
Bartholomew's 'Square Foot Gardening', and Nancy Bubel's
'The New Seed Starter's Handbook'.

Pat

--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit, and edible
flower seeds for successful container growing.