market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] RE:] Nasturtium blossoms...and elderberry

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] RE:] Nasturtium blossoms...and elderberry
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 11:49:54 -0400

On Thu, 19 May 2005 09:12:50 -0500, you wrote:

>Are all nasturtium leaves and blossoms okay to eat?

Yes, *if* they have not been sprayed with something that
might be harmful and *if* they are not growing next to a
highway (lead, etc.). Flowers from florists are generally,
I believe, heavily sprayed and therefore inedible. If you
buy the plants at a garden center, that might also be true.

For clarity: I am referring to _Tropaeolum majus_ and
_Tropaeolum minus_. I do not think any other plants are
called 'nasturtium' but I don't trust plant names any more:
there's so much variation in them.

_T. majus_ are climbing or trailing nasturtiums, _T. minus_
are the smaller bushy types.

Pat
--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit, and edible
flower seeds for successful container growing.