market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] speaking of mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Nan Johnson" <nan AT olemiss.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] speaking of mulch
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 08:35:32 -0500

Title: Message
Oh dear, not true at all here in Mississippi. I used [wheat]straw mulch one year on 35 beds at work and I might as well be raising wheat as a crop two years later.  And boy, is wheat hard to pull up by hand and/or till in.  I also used it at my farm (where beds are also worked by hand) and I can see why it would be good for erosion control - the roots are tough!  No more wheat straw for me!
nan at dancing goats farm, n. mississippi, zone 7b

Hay has seeds which will germinate and cause problems.  Better to try straw for mulch - few or no seeds.
Kathy