market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Yellow Nutsedge in Strawberries

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Yellow Nutsedge in Strawberries
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 00:07:08 -0400

When I bought my farm the whole farm was covered with yellow nutsedge as
thick as a pampered suburban lawn. Dry upland soil not wet land. It took
many years of constant tillage to suppress it but you will never rid
yourself of it completely by mechanical or mulching means. There is no way
you can plant matted bed perennial strawberries next year without a
herbicide. You can plant annual berries like Chandler or Sweet Charley. You
transplant in late summer, nutsedge tilled in August will not regrow into
the fall or become an active competitor to the berries until after harvest,
by then you till the berried under..Goodluck from a guy who knows about
nutsedge... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ