market-farming - [Market-farming] Cats in the garden

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HERBKDR AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Cats in the garden
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 13:29:47 EDT

We have an "invisible to humans" sign at the end of our driveway that reads "all cats welcome!"  lol  Needless to say we have become the drop off point for many soon to be mothers. :(  We find homes, spay and neuter as money allows and always take good care of them.  Our "tribe" of 19 is feed and watered daily, has a warm and protected area to sleep and really enjoys our company even though they are semi-feral cats.  My problem is that the world is their kitty litter box!

We normally grow only container herb plants and non edibles but this year I am venturing into heirloom tomatoes and cucumbers.  My question is...will the cat urine and feces harm my plants? And, will the fruits of my labor be toxic to humans if grown in a "kitty box" field?

From the research I have managed to do the only thing I see is the possibility of Toxoplasmosis.  The onyl info I can glean is that pregnant women should not be in contact with the soil.  No problem with that at this farm! lol  But will it affect the vegetables and pass it on to humans?

Sorry for being so long winded, but I want to make sure I don't harm anyone.
Karin