market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] RE: Test to see and selling tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost AT gilanet.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] RE: Test to see and selling tomatoes
  • Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 22:57:47 -0600

Hello Steph,
We also plan on selling toms and extra plants. Instead of farmers markets
(no markets near) we'll be selling at a flea market. The vendors are really
pleased to have veggies and I'm sure you could reach a wider crowd. Not to
mention, the people who look for bargains at flea markets are usually the
canning crowd. We figure this would also allow us to sell related canning
materials and anything else we have on hand. I also plan on doing spice
mixes and some of the rules at the closest farmers matket don't allow for
any items not grown by the seller.
On pricing toms-we plan to charge close enough to what the market
bears-that's what most people seem used to. With the rising price of gas
you know that food and veggie costs will only go up.....Of course, there
would be a volume discount. We're doing all European heirlooms and also
plan on having samples-that's the best advertising you can get. Especially
since most people aren't familiar with them and are used to the softballs
sold in the stores.
Green tomatoes might be an interesting thing especially down south. I've
also seen green toms pickled. Don't think it would work well around here in
NM.
On boxes-if you're anywhere near a sams club you can get all the free
tomato boxes you want-they even have the foam inside and stack beatifully.
Instead of giving these boxes away we'll use those generic white thank you
bags for purchases. You can get 1000 for $10 at sams club or costco. They
have better clear ones at costco.
Sorry if I sound like an ad for sams club. I just find they have the best
prices in bulk for all those essentials needed to sell. Happy farming!!!

Barb