market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Chef Harv

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pam AT twinoaks.org
  • To: market-farming-request AT lists.ibiblio.org, market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Chef Harv
  • Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 20:02:10 -0400

Liz Pike asked:

> Has anyone heard of this company in West Va?? Supposedly they buy
> high value raw crops from specialty growers to create value-added
> products the farmer can then resell to customers. I have a chance to
> attend a workshop at the facilities. Supposedly Chef Harvey Christie
> uses family recipes for bbq sauce, hot pepper jams, choc covered
> fruit, etc. Takes away from a purely custom product, but might fill a
> niche for those unable to build their own commercial kitchens for
> value-added products. They also warehouse your finished grass-fed
> livestock for sales to restaurants, etc.

Yes, he gave a workshop at the Virginia Association for Biological
Farming Conference this February. Makes all sorts of fancy stuff,
apples covered with fondant paste, made to look like little pumpkins,
for instance. High end stuff. Very high energy guy, likes to be
entertaining as well as make sales. I think he will rent his kitchen, or
make sauce etc to your recipe, and put your label on it. I can't
remember all the details because it wasn't what I was looking for.
Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks, Virginia