market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] printers?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Karen Sutherland and Roots Farm <rootsfarm AT marpin.dm>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] printers?
  • Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 19:07:01 -0400

The Epson Stylus C-84 is the easiest printer I've ever dealt with. My Lexmark X-125, bundled with my Dell computer,was a royal pain. Incompatible software/driver something. Everytime I wanted to print, I had to turn the computer off and on again. That's in addition to the running ink nightmare.
Yes to 4 different color cartridges. Easiest thing in the world to replace them. Not cheap, but easy. But my product tags are heavy on yellow -- so now I can just replace the yellow when it runs out, instead of having to replace one multi-colored cartridge wasting whatever is left of the other colors,.
Cost effective? -- don't really know. Our labels are a very effectivet marketing tool, especially so in this country and at our market where no one else uses labels. We look like a class act and people stop at our table on the strength of the labels (as well as the exotic selection). I have a different label for each herb and "exotic" vegetable . The label tells the name and a little about how the produce is used. I don't know what it would cost to have so many variations printed up, but for sure it would be a significant investment. Also, I'm always tweaking the labels a little, as a customer might ask me this or tell me that. I like the freedom printing it myself gives me to change, .
All best wishes,

Karen

*Karen Sutherland **
**Roots Farm**
Organic Produce : Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs*
Cockrane, Dominica
767-449-3038
rootsfarm AT marpin.dm <mailto:rootsfarm AT marpin.dm>

sora AT coldreams.com wrote:

We then package by bunch

into clear plastic bags (for basil 9x14, for oregano 7x11, etc.)
without holes, stapling them closed with a lovely little label my sister
developed and which we print out using Epson Stylus C-84 printer with
DuraBrite inks (THANK YOU to list members for steering me towards this
great little printer.). I have found that the generic "Dura Brite" inks
still run if there is any moisture, but the Epson brand will not.

This is almost identical to my greens method but I'm using ziplock bags
and taping on a label. My question is...I've been checking out the Epson
C-84 to replace the antique Lexmark-blur your labels if you think of
moisture.
Is it true the thing has 4 different cartridges for color? Is it a royal
pain to deal with? How cost effective is it to run all your labels?
Sora at Paradise Valley Organics zone 4