market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] overwintering corn mache

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: guyclark AT socket.net
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] overwintering corn mache
  • Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 09:27:17 -600

Denise-

If your weather was anything like ours here in Missouri, I would guess it
was perhaps just too wet. I managed to keep Johnny's Allstar Gourmet
Lettuce, Johnny's All Greens Mix, several mustards, some kales, collards,
tatsoi, yakina savoy, even beets and Hakurei turnips alive over the winter
(though the turnips were bad once they thawed out). My spinach did not
make it. The only difference was that the spinach was uncovered.
Everything else was under Remay. I had standing water between and even
over parts of the beds this winter.

We are, haha, Zone 5B, but had another Zone 7, or maybe Zone 6B, as it
only got to a couple of degrees below zero for a couple of days around
solstice.

If I remember correctly, you generally want stuff at a certain number of
leaves and no more. I think if it isn't at least at (three leaves seems to
be ringing in my head) that stage, it may not survive. I would guess
because it has inadequate roots to keep it from dying due to heaving in
the freeze thaw cycle. If it gets much past this stage (and the number of
leaves may vary by species) it is too mature to survive. I would guess
because there is too much tissue above ground or that certain chemicals
are released that cause it to die if exposed to either too much cold or
alternating warm/cold temperatures.

Guy Clark
Fertile Crescent Farms
Columbia, MO (Zone 5B, but not really)