market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cheddar cauliflower

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Karen Sutherland <ksutherland AT hampshire.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cheddar cauliflower
  • Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 09:29:05 -0400

*
* <mailto:rootsfarm AT marpin.dm>

I have tried Violet Queen (in Zone 5, MA) and Graffiti (zone 10, Dominica). Violet Queen was disappointing in both color, taste, productivity. Graffiti was outstanding: incredible color, good taste, and long long long holding ability in fridge. No one could pass our market table without stopping when we had Graffiti on it.

All best wishes,

Karen

*Karen Sutherland **
**Roots Farm**
Organic Produce : Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs*
Cockrane, Dominica
767-449-3038
rootsfarm AT marpin.dm <mailto:rootsfarm AT marpin.dm>

Marlin Burkholder wrote:

Courtney,

Be sure and check the maturity dates on the orange, purple, and white
cauliflowers. I started cheddar and an Italian purple variety (Sicilia
Violetto) last year at the same time with the idea that I would have two
colors on the table at the same time. The purple one didn't get ready until
the orange one was about finished. Checking maturity dates I found that
Ceheddar (58 days) and Graffiti and Sicilia Violetto (80 days) are nearly a
month apart. I will take that into consideration this year when I plant the
seed. By the way, while I'm thinking about it, has anyone tried Sicilia
Violetta and been happy with it? It disappointed me a little last year and
I resisted the urge to order Graffiti because I hated to throw the other
seed away. Description wise S Violetto appears to be similar to Johnney's
Violet Queen though Violet Qween appears to be early enough at 54 days to
coincide nicely with Cheddar. S Violetto strings out the harvest from 65
to 80 days which was probably the reason I chose it, not to mention that I
was also swayed by the $2.50 for a large packet that you get from Bill
McKay's source.

Marlin Burkholder
Virginia

Thanks for the info on the Cheddar cauliflower! I am very excited to try it
this year from what you guys wrote! I am also growing Graffiti and the
regular white. So I think that my table will look real pretty with purple,
orange and white cauliflower. Along with all the other pretty colors I will
have, I hope! Providing that Mom Nature plays along with me!

Courtney
Herb Thyme
Middlefield, Oh