market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Round bales: Moving, Transporting, and Feeding

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Bob Brocious" <bbrocious AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Round bales: Moving, Transporting, and Feeding
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:54:46 -0500

Folks, I've found the best way to move round bales in muddy conditions. Go to your local junk yard. Find the biggest, oldest truck or cadillac. Remove the hood. Take it home. Turn it upside down. Tie a tow rope to the latch on the hood and the other end on your 4 wheeler. Drive to your hay bale and roll it on to the hood. Drag it where ever you want and roll it off. This has cut down my use of the tractor significantly even when it isn't muddy.
You do have to have some decent tires on your 4 wheeler but I've pulled 800-1,000 bales behind a Honda 300. I prefer my Artic Cat 400 though. That hood has so many uses! Want some fun? Tie an additional short rope on the latch and put your 14 year old son on top of the hood, give him some sunglasses and let him pretend his is James Bond on a snowy pasture! It's a hoot when you video tape it!
Bob

Bob Brocious
Tenacity Farm
Carrollton, Kentucky