market-farming - [Market-farming] row covers alternatives

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "mtlivestock" <crublee AT libby.org>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] row covers alternatives
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 08:31:58 -0700

I am seeking cheap ideas!!!

I would like to hear about alternatives to row covers. What are small
farmers using instead of the conventional row covers? I experimented with
some nylon curtains last year and found them very helpful. Would like to
see more ideas as I want to use row covers on my strawberries, early greens,
and summer (hot season) greens for added warmth now and added shade later.

I am one of those folks that likes to spend the least in production to keep
my final price down. It is a must in my area. But I understand that
production sometimes requires an expensive purchase for long-term
investment. I would like to hear when folks feel commercial row covers
became a necessity. At what production level? Or are commercial row covers
so much better than homemade stuff that I should consider them now?

  • [Market-farming] row covers alternatives, mtlivestock, 02/24/2005