market-farming - [Market-farming] Unwanted Critters

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Cathy Barto Meyer <cbartomeyer AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Unwanted Critters
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 13:50:50 -0800 (PST)

You are best off locking the cats in their shelter for the night - if you are able.  We've had raccoons pull shingles off the house trying to break into the porch we kept our stray barn cats in at night - not much will keep them out.  Raccoons are mean animals you don't want to attract, which you are inadvertently doing with the cat food.  They've cleaned out our corn in one night, destroyed beds of cutting flowers, pulled down and broken sunflowers, ruined gourds and pumpkins...the list goes on and on.

Relocation is illegal in many states.  Further, unless you take the animal far enough away it will come back.  Think "as the crow flies" if you do relocate - what may be a great distance (road wise) is nothing to an animal.

Skunks are quite blind should you trap one - you need to be close before it knows you're there - then watch out!

Good luck - you're in for a challenge!

Cathy

Do you Yahoo!?