market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Raccoons

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: velta Mack <velta AT viclink.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Raccoons
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 08:58:54 -0700

> I agree with Lucy. I haven't had a skunk problem here, but having lost most
> of my sweet corn (in one night) last year to a marauding bunch of coons, I
> believe that there is no place for them on my little farm. This year, I
> plan to live trap them, and relocate them to out to the woods a few miles
> away. If they start coming back, I will break out the old shotgun if need
> be.

I went to a Vertebrate Predator seminar at OSU (Oregon) a few years ago and
they said that if you trap a raccoon, you must NOT relocate it. DISPATCH
IT! is what they said to do. I had raccoons not only eating the cat food
but opening the garbage can they were in, even with the lid bungeed tight.
I used a large livetrap with a can of cheap cat food wired loosely to the
far end of the cage. Just punch holes in the lid - so they can smell it but
have to work at figuring out how to get to it. I haven't tried the
marshmallows but since I now have two LGD's, I don't have the problem
anymore. My Pyr/Maremma hates raccoons!

Velta Mack - Sialia Llamas - Sheridan, OR