market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] strawberries

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] strawberries
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:05:31 -0500

Nancy,

We grow day neutral strawberries and leave them in the ground (on plastic red IRT mulch) for at least 3 years. We have one bed that is on its' third year and another that is on its' second. We would have a new bed planted but we thought we were leaving this farm this winter and decided last fall there was no need to put in another bed.

We have had success planting either in fall or early spring with both the June bearing and the day neutral/everbearing types.

The instructions on the day neutral berries said they won't overwinter well but since we have ours in a hoophouse we have no problems. this year our 2 year old bed has had zero protection (other than a heavy snow cover during the coldest part of the winter) and are many weeks from breaking dormancy so at this point i don't know if they will make it.

Lucy Goodman
New Paris, OH