market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Raintree Nursery

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: dave.kathy AT att.net (Dave & Katharine Campbell)
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Raintree Nursery
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 01:57:41 +0000

Yeah, I've ordered probably 50 trees, mostly apples, from them over the last 5 years.  Nice sturdy stock, seems to be doing well.  I think Raintree's strong point is the unusual varieties they list, many of them hard to find elsewhere.  For example, this year's catalog has copper ("purple") beeches.  Rare!

I'm told Raintree founder Sam Benowitz is a prominent (founding?) member of NAFEX, the North American Fruit Explorers, a group I've also joined.  We're folks that try to preserve rare varieties of fruits and nuts, and/or try them out in new locales to see how they do.  My particular interest is in apples for traditional (17th-century) English hard cider.

Dave Campbell

Tiffin IA (Zone 5)

-------------- Original message from nancy a parker <nan3russ AT juno.com>: --------------