market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] $150K on 1 1/2 acres

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Beth Spaugh <eas9 AT cornell.edu>
  • To: singingpigfarm AT earthlink.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] $150K on 1 1/2 acres
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2005 16:26:05 -0500

So your long season allows multiple cropping which is one reason for the higher/acre yields, and you are close to a relatively large upscale restaurant market.

I have the opportunity to work with some small upscale restaurants in Lake Placid NY. They are very seasonal though - busy during the summer, dead in October, November, and April. I am beginning to get enough production experience to feel I can be reliable and consistent enough to work with some, but have questions.

How do restaurant prices compare to farmers' market or farmstand prices? How do you set the prices? I know we should figure cost of production and go from there, but how does one find out what they are willing to pay for top quality?

These restaurants are more expensive than I can afford to frequent (OK, I should consider eating there an investment). How else does one discover what qualities they are looking for? One is willing to pay me $12/lb for basil, but at that price I suspect it had better be top notch basil, not old stems that have been clipped and regrown several times. I was raised to harvest for maximum yield (survival), not for tiny gourmet quality, and I am having trouble figuring out what the gourmet crowd wants.

Do you grow specific things for specific restaurants? Are you willing to share good gourmet seed sources? I have done a Google search and found a few "gourmet" catalogs, but can't really see they are much different from Johnny's/Territorial.

About what quantities make it worthwhile to work with a restaurant. Yours are clumped together, and you mentioned $600/week accounts. How small were your accounts when you started? How often do they want deliveries?

Any more specifics that can help those of us who are considering restaurants as one of our markets?

Please and thank you.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
66 Jabez Allen Road