market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] White bands in compost

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cheselka AT theriver.com" <cheselka AT theriver.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] White bands in compost
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 09:39:25 -0500

> I better say to anyone who is just starting farm scale composting
> that the information I gave about wetting the stack with a sprayer on
> a hose during construction is effective here in compost cloth covered
> stacks in Shenandoah Valley in stacks that have a high carbon content
> (horse manure, hay, straw). Wetting like we do (you never want to wet
> enough to interfere with air passage in the stack) could be
> detrimental in tropical areas. I point out the wetting process
> because I believe that getting enough moisture in the stack at the
> beginning has made a substantial difference in the quality of the
> compost we make.

I'm following the "wrung out sponge" approach. If the general wetness of
the pile is like a wrung out sponge, then the piles seem to be pretty
happy. Part of the "problem" with the "white stuff" I'm seeing is probably
caused by the fact that my piles are a bit dry. When I turn them, I
usually have the hose on hand to add some moisture if needed. I'm amazed
how wet they do stay even here in the desert.

In any case, ain't this all SO COOL how it all works? Even the "problems"
are pretty cool, eh? Neato!

Kindest regards,

Matt Cheselka
Cosmic Lettuce