market-farming - [Market-farming] re:not too late for Garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] re:not too late for Garlic
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:32:03 -0500

For once this year, i did get most all of the garlics and onions in on
time - just five varieties left to go. I am having a big allium year in
2005, with some 29 cultivars of garlic in and 4 new multiplying
onions......the few i have left to plant are smaller sorts and some
landrace type.

I was so excited to obtain about 20 new-to-us varieties this
fall......then received an email on a list that stated that after DNA
testing- there are only really 7 kinds out there!!! As a collector, I do
not want to believe that :-) Anyway, all are in and marked........we
should have a whole bunch of new stock after this season and that is
exciting to this grower. As i use raised berm-style beds, drainage isn't
a problem and i can plant when most others around here are lamenting
about mud.

I made friends with an allium grower from OK at the Appalachian Heirloom
Seed Conservancy Conference in Berea this fall and was surprised to see
him hand my daughter labeled bags of each kind he brought to the
conference - after i had treated myself to 5 new kinds from his
collection ( he was selling). What a BIG Blessing. I hope to keep them
increasing and growing over the next few years.
Toni in E. Kentucky