market-farming - [Market-farming] Farm scale, economics, and quality of life-PART 2

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: JOHN A HENDRICKSON <jhendric AT wisc.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org,>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Farm scale, economics, and quality of life-PART 2
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 22:42:00 -0600

I have received the go-ahead from list manager Liz Pike to post some
older compiled clippings from this listserve that relate to economics,
farm scale, and quality of life. Per her suggestion, I am dividing them
up into 3 posts. I should note that I took the liberty of cutting some
material from these posts and doing some minor grammatical editing.
Here is part 2 of 3. -John
----
“The modern small farm model is based on off-farm employment. [editorial
note: the majority of ALL farms (regardless of scale) in America rely on
off-farm employment, especially for health care insurance.] The money
demands of most families are such that the steady income is essential
for the viability of the family. Most people are not willing to live on
the edge that full time farm income provides. Our experience over the
past 10 years has been an ongoing cycle of feast or famine. The farm is
a harsh mistress that takes everything you will give and still want
more. There are always more projects than time or money allow. That
said, we believe that farming is a calling similar to the ministry or
Cinderella's shoe, either it fits or it won't. We grow 40-50 different
varieties of vegetables and are adding more fruit to the mix. This past
year we sold 60% wholesale, 30% farmers market [up to 8/week], 5%csa and
5%processed foods [jams, jellies, pesto and honey]. This year we plan
to increase our CSA, as that has been the most satisfying marketing
system. We've been certified organic for 7 years. The processed
products are a natural progression for eliminating waste. We also
donate to our local food bank and feel we are blessed for doing so.
During the peak of the year we have 6 to 7 acres planted and hire 2
seasonal workers.”

“It seems like our "numbers" show that the farm will work, but we often
wonder if our energy will hold out until the farm and marketing systems
are developed to the point that the farm "flows" better. I think this
is one the most underestimated problems with direct marketing—the
marketing factor takes so much time and mental energy.”

“We farm two-plus acres in certified organic veggies, selling at a
farmers market (where we take in anywhere from several hundred dollars
up to an all-time high of $2,400 in one day), plus we have a CSA of 50
members and a new processing kitchen that we hope will prove to be an
income generator. The first three years we lost money, the fourth year
we "made" money (which basically meant we supported me and my partner at
cover-your-bills level) and last year we lost money mostly because of a
poor production season and some long-term investments in raspberry canes
and other longer-term crops. I don't know if we ever will be able to
get above poverty level wages for ourselves, though I sure would like
to. I guess for me the issue isn't "profit" but achieving a sustainable
way of living and paying bills. If I wasn’t crazy and passionate about
what we do, I don't know why anyone would do it!”

  • [Market-farming] Farm scale, economics, and quality of life-PART 2, JOHN A HENDRICKSON, 12/18/2004