market-farming - [Market-farming] Cows eating pumpkins -- was Ruth Stout

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Cows eating pumpkins -- was Ruth Stout
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 09:29:37 -0500

Lynn wrote:

I'm feeding the cows and sheep their winter hay on that area.

The ones that didn't sell (they
were pretty popular) have been sitting out on the front steps, and are just
now starting to rot. I tried cooking one; it was very bland and tasteless.

Traditionally, the PA Dutch did not eat pumpkins -- they thought that they had no taste. Pumpkins were grown as winter fodder for the cows. I don't know if they are good for sheep, but instead of allowing your unsold pumpkins to rot, you might want to store them on racks (out of sun with good airflow) and give them to your cows as a winter treat.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of