market-farming - [Market-farming] Seeders

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Seeders
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:01:26 -0600

Looking at the new Johnny's catalog. For a long while, I have been
needing a seeder to plant small seeds in relatively short rows,
10'-100'. I have heard negative reports on Earthways. How about some
recommendations? Earthway? Glaser? Pinpoint?

I use dual PlanetJrs on a tool bar to plant spinach, peas, and beans,
an acre or two at a time, and I've been thinking of converting an old
Planet Jr to a push planter but haven't found the parts. How's that
for a run-on sentence? The PlanetJrs need pretty clean bed tops and I
have a need to plant through trash. The "Stick" planter and the
"Easy-Plant" might solve that problem; has anyone used both? Can
anyone comment on planting speed? Might they be able to plant an acre
at 5'x2" in an hour or two? Or three? It looks like the "Easy-Plant"
might have to be hand-fed one seed at a time.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Good Health: the slowest way to die