market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Sweet Taters?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Alan Whitaker" <awhitaker AT greenlynk.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Sweet Taters?
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 08:27:31 -0500

Toni,

sweet potatoes are easy to start and grow. What we do here in south AL, is
to till a strip just as wide as the tiller and till it 100' long. Then we
place our seed potatoes on the loose soil not touching each other. Pull up
enough soil to just fill in between the potatoes then cover it all with pine
straw about 2-3 inches deep. I actually used rye straw this year and it
worked okay. Then pull 2 more inches of soil on top of the straw. Then I
run one line of Queen-gil drip tape right down the center of the run for
water. My little tiller only tills ~15" or so. You can grow a lot of
slips this way. You can start selling or transplanting the slips when they
have adequate roots. That's how we do it.