market-farming - [Market-farming] Shade and Lettuce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Shade and Lettuce
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 07:36:49 -0400

Dear friends -

This is our first year using shade tunnels and houses for salad production.

Does someone know the rule of thumb for using shade with lettuce production here in the mid-Atlantic? (I guess anywhere w.b. fine! ;-) I'm to the point right now where I'm ready to start handling my shade cloth like a sailor handles sails on a sailboat, continually moving them for what appears to be the best position.

And then it dawns on me: maybe I don't really need shade at all in September.