market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] market funding

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: wildernessflowers AT comcast.net
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] market funding
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 17:01:00 +0000

hi sora

seems like you fees to farer may be low

we at santafe fe farmers market now pay 20-25 per day and close to 200 a year in sign up fees

 that may be high for your area and sales

 we always thought that percent of gross sales was uninforceible  w/o a crnetral register or some expensive electronic registers at each vendor

much of our support comes from grants but we also get a substantial amont from concession sales,coffee burritos sweet rolls etc  as wellas t shirts etc  over 75 k per annum profit there

as to 'friends" well you ar e right to be cautious

w/o farmers controling these 'friends ' they can wind up giving direction to market and a famers that is not in the farrmes best interest

it ispossible to set up a 501c3 within  the farmres market but there are some limits may be best to be  a for profit and look for a local non-profit to be your umbrella  might tbe more cost effective and a lot less ghassle non profits typically chareg eonly a few % to run grants through theie organizations

good luck martin

--
3 Roy Crawford Lane
Santa Fe' New Mexico