market-farming - [Market-farming] Squash blossooms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: ecook516 AT earthlink.net
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Squash blossooms
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 23:44:07 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I pick squashblossoms whenever.... I think they are most desirable when they
are still kinda firm, straight and closed- but I think it also depends what
the chef is doing with them. One chef I sell to just chops them up and
garnishes with them, so he's fine with floppier ones- some stuff and fry. I
don't pick them when they get kinda old and wrinkled at the end. I find that
if I do pick them when they're open if I put them in the cooler they close up
a bit. I put them in the cooler just on a tray and once they're cooled off,
bag them (all going the same way) in plastic bags or plastic clam shells. I
haven't had any complaints. At the growers cooperative I worked at
previously (sold to Washington DC restaurants) they were layered on a
slightly damp paper towels when sold wholesale, then a dozen went in a
plastic clamshell for market. I also find that the blossoms from my green
zucchini plants produce the biggest, nicest blossoms. My question is, if you
were to pick off all the male blossoms ( or a substantial number) would
pollination be affected?

  • [Market-farming] Squash blossooms, ecook516, 08/05/2004