market-farming - [Market-farming] small zuchini

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "mtlivestock" <crublee AT libby.org>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] small zuchini
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 10:04:23 -0600

I raise Eight Ball zucchini which I purchased the seeds from Nichol's in
Oregon.

VERSATILITY!!!! I love these zukes! They grow easier and faster than any
other type I have tried to grow in our garden.

They can be cooked shish-kabob style on the grill or in the broiler
(harvested at golfball size).

Softball size zukes cut in half (seeds/stuff removed) can be oiled,
seasoned, and grilled for easy two-person meal. Fill each half with other
grilled fruit for a nice presentation when having guest. This size is great
whole (cleaned) and baked upside down in the oven with other foods.

Melon sized zukes get baked upside down and served among four people. I made
one last weekend in the same pan as the 1/2 turkey (place in oven 1 hour
before turkey was done). I rubbed with salt and pepper. The juices from
the turkey also flavored the zuke. This size is great for stuffing and
baking for a large dinner.

The largest size is just less than a soccer ball size. These are perfect
for stuffing (meat-based) and baking for a one-pot meal (using the zuke as
the pot). After this size they actually get hard. You cannot skin the
really big ones. But I have hogs and hens that like them just fine at this
size!

Just pick at the desired size! Usually have a mix of sizes on six or
plants. One hint: If the middle of the plant looks crowded with the
leaves/stems, cut out some of the stems to allow for air and sun. Some
small ones will rot if you don't. Otherwise, they are pretty trouble free.
I don't use herbicides or pesticides at all in my garden. I do use some
fertilizer and compost. Ground is sandy-loam. (Quite sandy but changing as
I add organic matter.)

Christina

  • [Market-farming] small zuchini, mtlivestock, 08/04/2004