market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Eggs in Ohio

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Bill Huhman <bill AT farmerbill.downhomecountry.info>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Eggs in Ohio
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:51:14 -0400

Oldimin,

My understanding is that, in Ohio, eggs can be pre-ordered and then picked up at the market without a license, but you can't bring in unsold eggs and sell them outright. This is true of farm-processed chickens as well. Furthermore there are temperature restrictions involved. Something like a maximum of 44 degrees in the cooler and you need to have a thermometer in there to confirm your temps. Eggs can be freely sold at your farm without restriction up to a maximum per year which is fairly liberal. I've seen this info on the Ohio ag sites somewhere, and it's what the Fairfield County health inspector is enforcing at the Lancaster market we're part of. Hope this helps...

Bill