market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] composting questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] composting questions
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 23:18:02 -0400

2. I've noticed that the flies have found the pile. Is there anything I
can (or should) do about this? My guess is that any eggs laid will fail
becuase of the heat. I'm wanting to be as organic as I can, which means
I'd rather not be spraying stuff on it or anything like that. Fly traps
seem to attract more flies than they repel, so that's out, too. I'm
hoping that the flies are doing some kind of important job to the pile
(just like the bacteria inside).

IN my experience, once the compost pile is truly 'composting,' the flies disappear. Sometimes this takes days and sometimes, with a good compost starter applied, it can simply take hours. -Alla