market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Glacier tomato

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Glacier tomato
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:27:48 -0400

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:42:42 +0000, you wrote:

>Pat,
>That's impressive! Hopefully next year I'll get the Glaciers etc. into the
>ground early enough.

Of course, it was a nuisance too: after we removed the
WalloWaters, we went out quite a few nights to drape old
sheets over the tomato cages and over the peppers and other
things. But we have such late frosts here, that you almost
have to do some of this or you're not going to have many
tomatoes.

That's one reason (of several) why I need my hoophouse
(hopefully to be built in August). Next year, I hope to
grow tomatoes in the hoophouse: we have cool nights here
even in summer, and tomatoes definitely prefer being grown
under plastic here. I have a gardening friend who lives
around the corner from us - he's from England. He grows
his tomatoes in a small unheated greenhouse and they do
beautifully. He'd grown tomatoes in a greenhouse in England
and just continued the practice here.... <g> And it works
very well.

I hope that saving seeds from the earliest Glacier plant
(SuperTomato!) is successful.

At the moment, I'm doing the 'fermenting' process as
recommended in 'Seed to Seed' by Suzanne Ashworth. I've
never done this before, but hopefully it will work out OK.

Pat
--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
http://www.thehungersite.com/