market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] French Melons

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] French Melons
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 05:19:19 -0400

We grew Savor Charentais melon in the hoophouse last fall. No trellising and I believe spacing was at 24". We used drip irrigation hooked to a 250 gallon tank that received rain water from our roof. It was wet enough last fall that we did not have to use well water.

Because the melons were in a hoophouse we had to hand pollinate. This meant going in at least once a day, usually in the mid to late morning when the pollen is strong and the female flowers are open fully. Without good hand pollination you will get few to no melons.

because we had this isolated hand pollinated melon patch we saved seed from the F1 hybrid savor. Planted the seeds this spring in another hoophouse and now we have at least 3 different melons growing. There is a smooth skinned deeply ribbed melon. a netted skinned ribbed melon and a netted skinned ribless melon. haven't eaten any yet, though sold 3 this past Saturday.

We were expecting the netted skinned melons along with the charentais type in these seeds as the seed we got from Johnny's last year was 1/2 smooth skinned, ribbed and 1/2 netted skinned no ribs (both excellent eating, tasted the same). now we have a 3rd type expressing itself.

Lucy Goodman
New Paris, OH