market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Garlic harvesting and sale

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marienne & Jerry <marienne AT marienne.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Garlic harvesting and sale
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 20:05:40 -0500

Margaret wrote:

> I've just harvested my garlic (lst time). It looks good. My question -
> should I dry it first before selling it?

We sell a little "fresh" or "green" garlic to friends with the caveat that
they'd better use it quick or
cure it themselves. Most of it we cure fo 6 weeks or so, and then sell it
over the next few month.

If you don't cure it, it outgasses a lot. Great way to lose a customer if
they store it in an enclosed
place for a while. Once properly cured, hardnecks should be good for 6
months or so, softnecks for even
longer.

And melani wrote:

> Margaret, where are you generally located (if you don't mind my asking).
> I'm trying to get an idea of the harvest times around the states.

We will be harvesting in July, God willing, probably late since it's been so
cool here in central Minnesota
(low 40's tonight!).

And Margaret said:

> I hope I've harvested at the right time. The
> leaves were about 1/3 brown. They look good to me. This is my first try at
> garlic

That's about right. Are there still several good wrappers around the bulbs?

Jerry Ford
Living Song Gardens
Howard Lake, MN