market-farming - [Market-farming] RE: lettuce storage & Processing in the Northwest responses

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "mtlivestock" <crublee AT libby.org>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] RE: lettuce storage & Processing in the Northwest responses
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 08:34:58 -0600

The cellophane bag idea sounds great, but I am concerned of the price per
bag eating some profits. I am using simple food storage bags (with a
similar finish, not the usual plastic). It currently costs me three cents
per bag.

Thank you to everyone that commented on this. It has been a great help!
Here is my final list:
Salad Hints:

To make the most of your fresh salad mix:

Remove lettuce from bag as soon as you get it home. Place in a salad
spinner or in a large bowl of cold, fresh water. Refrigerate.

The best salad dressing is light or offered on the side. Don't drown
your lettuce mix in dressing if it will sit before serving.

Lettuce salad is a great picnic choice! To keep fresh, fill a small
Tupperware container (sandwich holder or other) with water. Freeze. Wrap
frozen container in lint-free paper towels. Place container in bottom of
bowl of lettuce. Cover. This will keep your lettuce fresh and crisp until
you reach your favorite picnic spot!

Use as many add-ins as you like; create delicious combinations that
may include vegetables, fruits, cheeses, nuts, seeds, tortilla chips, Asian
noodles, seafood, or meats.

When dressing salad, timing makes all the difference between success
and failure. Mixing salad leaves with a dressing must always be done at the
very last minute (just before serving or offer dressing on the side).

Add a subtle garlic flavor to a salad by rubbing cut garlic clove
around the inside of the salad bowl before adding the salad ingredients.

Rub your hands with vinegar before and after chopping onions for
salad - this will eliminate the smell.

Low-carb diets are enhanced by adding dark green lettuces, romaine,
and endive to simple iceberg lettuce salads. These lettuce greens add more
bulk than watery iceberg.

If you like nuts on your salad, try sugared nuts, such as pecans or
walnuts, for an even greater flavor.

To add texture to your salad, julienne carrots, onions, or meats. My
favorite combination is julienne carrots, onion, ham, and green peppers.

Top salads with one or more types of cheese such as Colby, Parmesan,
Monterey Jack, and/or Pepper Jack Cut cheese in julienne sticks, cubes, and
shreds for added interest and texture.

Mimi:
Did you ask anyone at Rural Roots about Idaho processing? There was a
meeting recently (spring or winter) in Idaho about locating a USDA plant in
the region. I think they were considering Moscow area. Malcom or Skeeter
may have more information on the results of that meeting.

Did you know there is a fine state-inspected facility in Bonners' Ferry,
Idaho and another in Troy, Montana? There is also a USDA in Columbia Falls,
Montana. I have personally used both state-inspected facilities. I would
be happy to discuss them off-list in a private email. We love the folks up
in Troy. Very professional and very accommodating. When possible, they are
great about hanging cattle 21 days. Almost impossible anywhere else!

As far as bringing over slaughter animals from Idaho. It is rather easy.
Some Montana regs for shipping stock into our state do not apply if you
inform your state brand inspector that the animal will be slaughter within X
number of days after crossing into MT. I think you have to be the consumer
of the animal. I am not sure on that part. We have had folks drive their
steers 3 hours from Idaho to have slaughtered and processed here. I am not
sure of current rules, but I think it could be an option for you for cattle.
We would have to discuss the hogs. We don't have current facilities to hold
slaughter hogs.

Linda:
Where are you located? The regs on these things are so different from state
to state. We do mobile slaughter for large stock. Please feel free to
contact off-list if you have questions. I would be happy to see these units
grow across the country as many states are creating laws and regs that are
destroying most folks chances of running such a business. Which condemns
the small farmers to quit or to use unsuitable facilities.

  • [Market-farming] RE: lettuce storage & Processing in the Northwest responses, mtlivestock, 06/21/2004