market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Legume Inoculants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Legume Inoculants
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 09:10:23 -0400

This brings up a sore point with me right now.

I've got two acres of vegetables in land that was a horse paddock this time last year. In its diversified cover, it had plenty of clovers, both red and white, as well as vetches that have worked their way in from the roadside.

Inspite of this, I'm just now discovering that my early crops of peas and beans have NO SIGN of NITROGEN NOTES on any of the roots!!!

I inoculated with a general innoculant from peaceful valley farm supply. I'm very serious and careful about inoculating because I do not want to leave inoculation to chance.

I also have a few hundred bedfeet of edemame. These I inoculated with Soy inoculant from Southern States. The soy have nodules, although they are very small (of course, so are the plants right now)

I am very surprised that there was no natural effective inoculant in the fields. I am even more surprised that the Peaceful Valley inoculant was ineffective.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Is it possible that there are problems other than ineffective inoculation that would keep peas and beans from hosting nodules?

While it was poor performance by the beans that drew me to start digging, it is surprising how well SOME of the plants are doing. (Yes, even the biggest of all my bean plants did not have nodules.) Anyone have suggestions on how I'll get a crop from this hamstrung planting?

To acknowledge the original question: I do not know the names or addresses for the companies that can provide variety specific inoculants, but I know they are out there. I think a serious grower works with them rather than with the general inoculants that are sold by seed companies and hardware stores. I think this is similar to buying ladybugs from a garden catalog or from an IPM insectory. Hopefully, someone will have contact information for one of these suppliers.

Thanks

-Allan