market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] lady bugs (or that insect that looks a lot like them)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Dcimmarr AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] lady bugs (or that insect that looks a lot like them)
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:17:27 EDT

Leigh,
I think what you are referring to in the Multi-colored Asian Lady Beetle.  At firast glance, they do look an awful alot like the old ladybug that we knew as kids. These beetles are different. For one, as you mentioned, they congregate inside any crack or crevivc in homes and are a real nusisance.  Not only do they get into everthing, they bite, they destoy soft fruits like peaches and grapes and can be detrimental to those  growers who cultivate grapes for the winemaking industry. Ever taste wine with just a few beetles that have escaped detetection in a batch of wine.......it's not pleasant. I think you'll agree that even as the USDA thought this beetle was a beneficial, it is turning into a monster in disguise.

Denise C

Denise Cimmarrusti
University Of Illinois Extension
Master Gardener