market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Row Cover for Salad Crops Question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Row Cover for Salad Crops Question
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 14:49:11 -0400

I really like 30 or 50 weight covers in the summer.  We generally get 2 to 3 seasons from the heavy covers and we use them hard almost year round. And they hold up well to hail, etc.. i have not found that they overheat the crops under them at all and I have used them in 100˚F+ temperatures (it was under 90˚F under the covers). Lighter covers were not nearly as effective in heat.

If you are getting way too much rain you might want to consider covering your plants with greenhouse plastic (excellent use for ripped up pieces that no longer fit a greenhouse frame) during rainy days and removing it on sunny days (though it sounds like you ain't getting many of those) or if you don't have that anything that is water proof and can be held over the lettuce.

Lucy
Boulder Belt organics
New Paris, OH

Allan Balliett wrote:
It's obvious that I need protection from rain as well as hail and from other stuff that drops from the sky (like leaves!)

What weight have you found works well in the summer time? -Allan