market-farming - [Market-farming] RE: How to keep fox out of chicken tractor?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "mtlivestock" <crublee AT libby.org>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] RE: How to keep fox out of chicken tractor?
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 06:58:51 -0600

Paul,

You need a goose! We raised about 300 meat birds and 100 layer chicks for
the last few years. A gander would spend his days and nights among them.
We left our cages open 24/7. I doubt we lost more than three. And those
were to hawks. I have hawks, weasels, skunks, eagles, coyotes, and even an
occasional bear on my place. But the goose never allowed them by the
chicks. Besides that his screaming would bring us at a dead run. Predators
soon learned, a goose and a stressed-out, fry-pan toting lady were not to be
messed with!!! (I banged on the pan and not as a weapon if that is what you
are thinking!)

Our gander would start by "helping" feed the chicks in the shed where the
brooder was located. We would hold him up so he could see them and call to
them. When the chicks were almost ready, we would put the goose in with
them while feeding only. In four to six weeks, we would turn over the
chicks to the gander in our pasture. He rarely left them, and he always
kept them in his sight.

He was very people friendly! He eventually became quite the celebrity.
Everyone came to the farm to visit him and watch him work.

Our goose has gone to live with a nice couple and their two lady geese. We
felt he deserved a family of his own. We are not raising meat chicks this
year.

It is surprising how much we miss him. If you ever heard goose outside your
bedroom window at 5am, you will know why we are so surprised at missing him!

I am not sure how many other goose out there would do this. But it was our
solution.

Christina

  • [Market-farming] RE: How to keep fox out of chicken tractor?, mtlivestock, 05/22/2004