market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Wood ashes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mayapple Farm and Gardens <mayapplefarm AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Wood ashes
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 19:41:58 -0700 (PDT)

Another thing about wood ashes is its ability to
quickly raise soil pH. The other half of the
potassium salt is frequently the hydroxide ion, hence
the practice of extracting wood ashes with water to
make lye (sodium and potassium hydroxides). I checked
the pH of a half ash/half water solution last year and
it was around 10, if I recall correctly. It's a
rapid, but short-term, remedy to acidic soils. I
think the analysis of wood ashes I saw indicated that
most woods have fairly similar potassium content in
their ash, maybe in the 8-12% range?

Kevin

=====
Krystyna L. Prochocki